Friday, June 12, 2009

I thought only dogs chased cars?

Gotta love Fridays!
After a normal but seemingly long day Calvin, Kaia and I stopped by our favorite fish market for some warm clam chowder and fish tacos. We sat outside on the black iron furniture and after only half of his soup Calvin started playing in the shrubbery. I watched him cautiously as he hopped over plants and bushes talking to himself and humming.

A car entered the parking lot and maneuvered around the sitting area approaching the bustling Trader Joe's parking lot. Calvin hopped over a few more bushes, jumped the half wall over the wood chips following the car. I was keeping an eye on him. He was getting closer and closer to the small red car. As the car began to round the corner of the building I realized that Calvin was not going to stop at the curb, so I yelled,

"Calvin... Calvin... get back here"!

He froze and did exactly as I said. He looked startled, then smiled a bit guiltily. I asked him, "What were you doing, what were you thinking"?

He confessed, "I was going to jump on to that car". I was shocked.

"What"? I said astounded.

After about 10 seconds Calvin continued, "Do you remember the first Curious George book"? He said bashfully.

At first I didn't, but then it dawned on me. I couldn't stop myself from smiling. The image of George on top of the tall city bus riding around the city looking for the man with the yellow had flashed into my mind. I had to laugh. I knew Calvin would absolutly love to jump up on a bus and ride around like George. What a fantasy!

Of course we talked about how dangerous it is jumping onto moving vehicles but I have to smile inside about his sense of imagination and curiosity. Sometimes I really think he is a little monkey.


This isn't the scene Calvin was remembering but it does capture the sense of wonderment, curiosity and sheer guts Calvin and George have in common.







http://

No comments:

Post a Comment